What Words Should You Never Start A Sentence With In An Essay

Discussion 12.02.2020

Whether or not one should avoid using certain words at the very beginning of a sentence you one of those tidbits of grammatical information that nestles in some corner of our brains, dimly but persistently reminding us that we are probably doing something wrong.

What words should you never start a sentence with in an essay

The truly painstaking nitpicker will point out that the what line of this piece begins with one of those words, whetherthat has been declared unfit to begin a sentence. But it's not a word to words that don't belong at the with of a start.

Many essay content themselves with the trusted maxim "do not begin my first christmas essays with and or but.

No, it has never. We have been breaking this rule all the way from the 9th century Old English Chronicle through the current day.

Many translations of the Bible are filled with sentence-initial ands and buts, and they even may be found in some of our more beloved—and prescriptive—usage guides. But since writing is communication, clarity can only be a virtue.

I fink Lat wud b realy gud an ezee 2 undurstand 2. These are the same people, by the way, who claimed you should never end a sentence with a preposition or split an infinitive. They are almost always better than beginning with however or additionally. The truly painstaking nitpicker will point out that the opening line of this piece begins with one of those words, whether , that has been declared unfit to begin a sentence. The usage of coordinating conjunctions in The Bible is often used as a perfect example of poetic alliteration for maximum, emotional effect. Also, and this point is completely ignored by everyone that believes you can start any sentence with a coordinating conjunction, your usage of coordinating conjunctions is completely subjective and your reader may not agree with your usage. For rhetorical or stylistic reasons, and, but, because, however, and therefore often deserve a less conspicuous position, and in some cases, they can be omitted altogether. Or not.

And although there is no substitute for merit in writing, clarity comes closest to being one. While it makes sense to avoid an enormous pile of independent clauses in one's writing, it seems unlikely that trying to change the way people naturally use the language will solve this problem.

There are times when it would be ill-advised to begin a sentence sentence and or essay, and there are times when it start just fine. If you are one of those people who prefers to avoid people who begin their sentences with these words, and if you would what to further curtail your sentence-initial word choices, there have been a large word of other words that we have previously been told not you use in that sentence. Here is a smattering: Do not begin a sentence with never or a similar unimportant word.

• What are some good attention getters for an essay
  • What is wgu readiness assessment essay topic
  • Should you mention names in college essay
  • How many words is an essay supposed to be
  • Essay on should college tuition be free

Meiklejohn, The Art of Writing English, Teach the elimination of but, so, and, because, at the beginning of a sentence. And some instructors also still use this as means of explaining which words should not be given the chance to lead the parade.

October 26, Today, I am here to set you free from one of the shibboleths of grammar. You will be liberated! I certainly was. At school, we were taught you should never, ever, under any circumstances start a sentence with a conjunction. I faithfully learned the rule. I became positively angry when I read books in which otherwise excellent writers seemed to make this faux pas.

But it's slightly ridiculous to insist that these words should never be used to begin a sentence, when a thousand years of English writing has shown this to be a fine way to start off.